HexaGrow: A Personal Indoor Farming System for People in Inner Cities [Read more]
HexaGrow is the perfect growing companion for those living and working in UK cities.
- Advanced fogponics technology promises faster rates of growth, whilst consuming only 5% of the water that's traditionally used when growing plants in soil.
- Flexible automation offers a tailored growing experience, to suit a range of different lifestyles.
- An accompanying app allows users to check plants remotely and complete personal challenges.
- The use of natural colours and forms are aimed to help relieve the stress and anxieties associated with urban life.
Design Brief and Proposition
Stage 2 Product Development, providing an overview of the prototypes created and how these moved the design forward.
Following a number of interviews with representative users, qualitative data was analysed using affinity diagramming. This enabled the extraction of key findings and insights to direct future research and development, should the product be taken further.
An ultrasonic fogger vaporises a nutrient-rich solution in a water tank, which is then extracted and regulated around the hexagon shape with small fans. The solution is then absorbed by plant roots, and any excess vapour condenses and returns to the water tank to be re-used.
Since the water particles are very fine, the rate of absorption in plant roots is much greater than in traditional hydroponic and aeroponic systems.
As a designer with a background in history, my design approach involves extremely thorough research and testing to create impactful and more meaningful innovation.
- Strong communication skills, particularly with international and multidisciplinary teams.
- Good project management and problem-solving skills, with an emphasis on technological development.
- Knowledge of C++ and good prototyping skills.
- Strong research and analysis skills with a multidisciplinary outlook on the design process.
- My immediate career goal is to become a design consultant, with a particular focus on research and technological development. I love to keep raising the bar and surpass all personal expectations, and so I would appreciate any opportunity to refine my skills.
HexaGrow: A Personal Indoor Farming System for People in Inner Cities